Portal Website Design
Portal Website Design
Creating a web portal can open up new opportunities for your business in terms of how you can share announcements, deals and specific data with stakeholders. Through the portal, you can help customers, employees, vendors, partners, patients, etc. to securely log in and interact with your organization. The portal site helps you provide better customer service, optimize business processes and is also easy to manage.
What is portal website design?
A portal is a web-based platform that collects information from various sources and provides the most relevant information to users. Over time, simple portals have evolved into portal platforms. Faced with the vast amount of information available online, the easiest way for the average user to discover information is to create a human-curated content hub, known as a portal. Portals can display user-selected content as a customized experience.
Difference between site and portal
Portal and site are two different concepts, but in many cases they can be used as synonyms.
A site generally refers to a set of web pages and online resources that are used on the Internet to access them through a browser. These pages are usually connected to each other as affiliate links and may contain text, image, audio, and video content. On the other hand, a portal or information portal is a large and comprehensive website created as a specialized reference for information, services and resources related to a specific field. For example, news portals, academic portals, health and medical portals, etc. In these portals, various information, services and facilities may be available that are directly or indirectly related to each other.
Therefore, the portal is considered as a more complete and comprehensive platform than the site, which is specifically designed to provide services and resources to a specific community.
Types of portals
Portals are widely used for various purposes. Below I mention some types of portals:
- News portals: These types of portals usually contain news and articles related to a specific field.
- University portals: These types of portals include course information, class schedule, university news, etc.
- Health and medical portals: These types of portals contain information related to health and medicine such as articles, news, health advice, etc.
- Business portals: These types of portals include products and services related to a specific company or industry.
- Transportation portals: These types of portals include information related to transportation such as plane tickets, train tickets, traffic information, etc.
- Social network portals: These types of portals include social networks such as Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
- Government portals: These types of portals include information related to the government and government services such as tax information, referring to administrative offices, etc.
- Educational portals: These types of portals include educational content such as educational videos, educational articles, etc.
Each of these portals is specially designed to provide services and resources to a specific community.
Portal security is very important because portals usually contain sensitive and confidential information that, if it falls into the wrong hands, can endanger the security and privacy of users and organizations. Below I mention some things that should be considered to increase the security of the portal:
- Use of encryption: To prevent unauthorized access to portal information, encryption must be used. This method allows users to access information only after entering their username and password.
- Use of firewalls and intrusion detection systems: Using firewalls and intrusion detection systems can help reduce the risk of unauthorized access to the portal.
- Software updates: To reduce the risk of intrusion into the portal, software updates should be used. In each update, security bugs are fixed and system security is improved.
- Password protection: Strong and complex passwords should be used and changed periodically. Also, you should not use common and easy terms as passwords.
- Access management: To prevent unauthorized access to portal information, users' access to information should be limited and only authorized users should be allowed access.
- Security integration support: Security integration between the portal and other related systems should be used to help protect confidential information.
- Training users: Portal users should be trained about safety and security methods so that they can implement the best methods to protect their information in the portal.
Defining the purpose and identity of the portal
At this stage, the purpose and identity of the portal should be defined. For example, news portal, academic portal, business portal, etc.
Analysis of user needs
The needs of portal users should be analyzed and based on them, the content and capabilities of the portal should be designed.
Designing the main structure of the site
At this stage, the main structure of the site should be designed. This includes menu design, homepages, content categories, etc.
At this stage, the user interface of the portal should be designed. This includes the design of the site's appearance and format, the use of colors, images and fonts.
At this stage, the website should be developed using programming languages and web technologies.
The accessibility of the portal should be increased for users with special needs such as people with disabilities, the elderly, etc.
Testing and optimization
After development, the site should be tested and optimized to achieve the best performance and access speed.
Setup and support
After testing and optimization, the site should be launched and supported.